Tuesday 3 April 2012

An Essay on SILIP: DAUGHTERS OF EVE!

Take some time from your busy schedule and check out this fascinating essay by author and artist Danny Castillones Sillada on one of my personal favorites from the MM back catalog, the Filipino fornication freakout SILIP: DAUGHTERS OF EVE!


"Never had such realities been portrayed in a nauseating, savage, and hauntingly realistic manner, dissecting the human psyche and primordial issues on lust and desire, needs and repression, hatred and violence, religious belief and superstition, life and death."

You can buy this masterpiece here.

5 comments:

  1. Indeed a masterpiece, one of my favorites MM titles as well.
    Thanks for posting the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love MM, and do a lot of pimping for you, and this is certainly one of the absolute best MM titles--the "m" word is, indeed, entirely appropriate.

    The write-up at the link was a good one. Looking over some of the reviews SILIP received when MM initially released it, I was astonished by some of the bizarre reactions to it--it often seemed as if its online critics hadn't even bothered to watch it. I was sufficiently appalled that I wrote a review of the reviewers a few years ago:
    http://cinemarchaeologist.blogspot.com/2009/12/critical-peek-at-what-some-critical.html

    I couldn't recommend the movie itself more strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article CA. It's hard to believe that anyone who had actually seen the film could describe it as "misogynist", but then I often disagree with feminist critiques of film, "exploitation" or otherwise (which is my personal point of view and does not necessarily represent the views of Mondo Macabro, btw). I'm going to post a link to this on the MM FB page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really so down on "feminist" critiques of film. I've just been sort of offering one of my own on THE WALKING DEAD, in fact. I do, however, have a big problem with brainless critiques. One sees a lot of those pawned off as "feminist."

    Thanks for the link. MM's work in bringing greater visibility to these obscure titles doesn't just bring us some overlooked movies; it's also important. Personally, MM has never let me down, and if I can help draw attention to some of its titles, I'm paying that back in some little way.

    --j.

    ReplyDelete